Things are changing pretty fast in the world of the internet in all aspects. Some of these aspects are marketing strategies, kind of content that would be effective for the readers, people’s interaction with their mobile devices, convenient ways to online purchasing, the ways that people choose to search for information and more.
Here are some of the important internet facts and statistics that would help you understand the current internet world better.
- The Internet is huge: The world of internet is consistently growing bigger. It is pretty massive by presently with 3,812,564,450 internet users until January 1, 2018. This is a clear indication of its effectiveness among the people of various spheres of life. As a matter of fact, the number of new users of the internet over the past 12 months is a quarter of a billion.
- USA Vs China: Despite the fact that China has a population of 1,379,302,771 which is much higher than the USA has, the number of internet users in the USA is almost double than that in China.
- Huge Rise in Users: Unlike in 1995 wherein less than 1% of the world’s population actually had an internet connection, the percent of total internet users of the world has gone up to 40% by 2018.
- Google Search Queries: The number of search queries processed by Google per day worldwide now has elevated to over 6,586,013,574. Interestingly, it even includes search queries, somewhere around 15% that have never been actually searched for on Google.
- Devices used by Internet Users: The internet has experienced a steady increase in the number of mobile users over the years. In fact, the number of mobile internet users is higher than the number of internet users that uses desktop PC. According to an analysis in 2017, the percent of the mobile internet users back then was 58.9% and the expected growth in 2018 is anticipated to be 61.2%.
- Browser-Dominance: Google Chrome happens to be the most popular browser with 75.7% dominance while the dominance of other browsers is as follows: – Internet Explorer: 4.6%, Mozilla Firefox: 13.6%, Opera: 1.1% and Safari: 3.7%.
- High Penetration Rates: Interestingly, places like the Falkland Islands and Iceland, with a population of 2,983 and 317,351 respectively have the highest worldwide penetration rates of 96.9% and 96.5 respectively.
- TLD with the highest Registration: The Top Level Domain with the highest number of registrations in Q4 2017 happens to be the .COM. There are several advantages of choosing this TLD which is why a lot of people prefer using this TLD.
- Register Domain Names: According to the records of Q4 2017, the number of domain names registered across all Top Level Domains was 332.4 million back then.
- Consumers and Blogs: It has been found that almost 81% consumers including 61% of U.S. online consumers rely upon the information found on blogs and they trust the information on blogs to such an extent that they even made several purchases based on the recommendations on blogs.
- Asian Users: Despite the fact that there’s a drop in the percentage from 50.1% to 49.7%, Asia continues to have the largest number of internet users in the world while in the runners-up, Europe has 17.0%, Latin America/ Caribbean has 10.4% and Africa has 10%.
- Number of Websites: The number of websites on the internet as of January 2018 has reached 1.3 Billion. The first ever website on the internet happens to be info.cern.ch which was published back on August 6, 1991.
- North America Users: Surprisingly, North America constitutes a very small part of 8.2% of the total internet users of the world. However, it has the highest penetration rate of 88.1%.
- SERPs – It has been found that almost 75% of the people don’t really care to scroll past the first page of the search engine result page. Also, 80% of the people don’t really care to check the Google ads.
- Country Code TLD – There has been an increase of 408, 242 in the country code TLD registrations over the past one year with .tk, .cn, .de, and .ru in the highest ranking.
- Highest Selling Domain Name – The highest selling domain name ever that had been sold for a massive amount of $872 is Cars.com.
- Websites that rule: Websites such as Google, Facebook, YouTube and Live continue to rule the domain world and with stunning popularity among all the age groups of users.
Concluding the fact, Internet is yet to saturate and many more advanced things to come.